1933 Philippines MANILA-CLAVERIA Registerd Mail Receipt
Description: This is a 1929 Bureau Of Post receipt of a registered article that was shipped from Manila to Claveria, Cagayan.
Background: The Philippine postal system has a history spanning over some 250 years. In 1767, the first post office was established in the city of Manila, which was later organized under a new postal district of Spain, encompassing Manila and the entire Philippine archipelago, in 1779. The postal district was reestablished on December 5, 1837. A year later, Manila became known as a leading center of postal services within Asia. Spain joined the Universal Postal Union in 1875, which was announced in the Philippines two years later.
During the Philippine Revolution, President Emilio Aguinaldo ordered the establishment of a postal service to provide postal services to Filipinos during that time. It was later organized as a bureau under today's Department of Trade and Industry, then known as the Department of Trade, on September 5, 1902, by virtue of Act No. 426, which was passed by the Philippine Commission. The Philippines eventually joined the Universal Postal Union, this time as a sovereign entity, on January 1, 1922.
While the Manila Central Post Office building, the center of Philippine postal services and the headquarters of the then-Bureau of Posts, was completed in its present-day Neo-Classical style in 1926, it was destroyed during World War II. It was rebuilt in 1946, after the war.
With the overhaul of the Philippine bureaucracy in 1987, the Bureau of Posts was renamed the Postal Service Office, or PSO, by virtue of Executive Order No. 125, which was issued by then-President Corazon Aquino on April 13, 1987. It was also that order that placed the PSO under the DOTC. On April 2, 1992, by virtue of Republic Act No. 7354, the PSO became the present-day Philpost. The law also gave it the authority to reopen the then-closed Philippine Postal Savings Bank, which was reopened on July 21, 1994 by then-President Fidel V. Ramos.